OT: Car buffs, help needed

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Fri Oct 30 22:52:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:03:36PM -0400, paul stenquist wrote:
> Dodge Journey just got a dual-clutch automatic as well, so I suspect it
> may end up in a Jeep.  I think Borg Warner is the supplier.
>
> Thanks again for this tip. It's a good topic.

You're welcome.  Note that single-clutch computer-controlled
gearboxes have been around for a while (I've got one in my Z4),
and are still what is used by Lamborghini.

> I looked into the carbon-carbon  brake technology. Seems they take quite
> a while to heat up to the point where they are effective, so they're not
> very practical in passenger cars.

Especially since you need to replace the whole setup every 200 miles,
not just the pads, and they don't come cheap :-)   Actually the brake
technology is one of the hardest things to come to terms with on F1
cars - even a reasonably competent amateur (such as, say, Richard
Hammond of Top Gear) can't exercise the brakes on an F1 car hard
enough to get the brakes up to temperature, so they hardly work;
that's another thing that would keep them out of consumer models.

I didn't know what you were looking for, so I lasted one bleeding-
edge technology, and one more mature (and more practical) example.