OT: Car buffs, help needed

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Fri Oct 30 20:50:33 EDT 2009

Jeep and "gee-whiz technology" don't belong in the same discussion :-)

Twin-clutch transmissions are semi-automatic or full automatic
transmissions that don't have a torque converter (which is one
of the biggest sources of power loss in an automatic transmission).
You need computer-controlled transmissions to make them usable,
so although they were seen in performance cars in the 80s (the
Porsche 956 & 962 in sports car racing, and the equally dominant
Audi Quattro rally car), it's only recently that they showed up
in cars in the showroom. They are mostly to be found in high-
end performance marques (Bugatti, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, . . .),
but Ford and VW use them in models for the consumer marketplace.

The benefit, for performance cars, is the very fast shift times
that are possible (1/10 of a second or less).