OT PC Surgery

William Robb warobb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:57:30 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "P. J. Alling"
Subject: Re: OT PC Surgery

> It's not XP that's slow.  It's all the Crappleware computer manufactures
> saddle their machines with that kills it.  I picked up a new/used laptop
> that has almost nothing except XP Professional and the required
> proprietary drivers and the little bugger flies.  Almost as fast as Win2K.
> It takes about 40 seconds for a full boot up, about half of that until the
> drive light, so that's postup and loading firmware, roughly 20 seconds
> after that and it's ready to rock and roll.

Once my MB loads all the RAID drivers and stuff it needs to boot, Win XP
takes about 20 seconds to show my desktop, and about 10 more seconds until
it settles down and is ready to roll.
I'm looking forward to Win7. I'm hoping that I won't have to set screen
profiles every time I start my machine. They never did get around to giving
XP proper multi screen colour management. It's there, but its in manual
mode.

William Robb