OT PESO - The Look

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Wed Oct 28 14:31:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 09:37:55PM +0800, David Savage wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> Last one from the beach shoot for a while:
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/disavage/4052053907/>
>
> Direct link (~230kb)
>
> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/4052053907_b86c58ba73_o.jpg>

Is the orange light coming from a gelled strobe, or the sunset?  I suspect
that its a strobe off to camera right, because the background is too
evenly lit for it to be from a fill.

I just went back to the main page and see that you're using a gold
reflector.

The model is gorgeous, the pose is nice and I pretty much like the
level of lighting, but I find the weird mix of color balance a little
unsettling.

As I see it:
There's sunlight on her left shoulder, from behind.  That would be
color balanced with the sand.
Most of the light on her face is from a gold reflector, which seems a
bit too gold to me.
Her right arm and leg are in shadow, and color balanced a bit closer
to the background.

Am I close?

The warm lighting is nice, but maybe a touch too much of a good thing.
I'm also curious how it would look in black and white.

There's also something weird about the out of focus background when I
look at the large version of the photo, it doesn't seem so odd looking
on the smaller one.