GESO Garry

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Wed Oct 28 14:12:41 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 09:47:20AM -0400, Bruce Walker wrote:
> Larry Colen wrote:
> >http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622663186590/
> >
> >Feedback is appreciated.
>
> I think these all look very good, Larry. I prefer the first and the
> third, with the 1st getting the nod for a very natural expression. I
> must say you get really nice even light from your canopy.  And you are

Thanks.  Though I have to repair the canopy today due to wind damage
from yesterday.

> so lucky to be able to do outside portraits with a redwood background!
> (Any outside portraits I do right now would involve raincoats and bare
> trees.)

Those could add character.

> My problem with the flash shots is just that I think the lighting is
> *too* even. I think you want to reveal more character, especially with
> male subjects, so you could use overall even light to illuminate the
> scene and some hard light from a smaller source angled to give his face
> more definition.

The same has been observed about some of my earlier portraits. Working
without the low ceilings makes it a bit easier to get lighting which
isn't quite so flat. I should maybe try to use the key light without
the umbrella.

> Just my 2 cents, discounted for my own noob level. :-)

Noob just makes it harder to figure out how to fix it, but you can
still tell what you do and don't like. And that's assuming you really
are any more of a noob than me.