NAS

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 09:19:43 EDT 2009

Sylwester Pietrzyk wrote:
> Dnia 28 października 2009 2:57 Doug Franklin <jehosephat at mindspring.com> napisał(a):
>
>> Have any of the PDML faithful tried using Network Attached Storage (NAS)
>> for their photo archive?
> Here is a site that you may find interesting:
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
> Performance difference between various NAS solutions can be very big, and it is worth considering before buying one, especially if you want it to use for photo archiving. I believe that Synology, QNAP and Thecus are leaders now, with Synology having arguably the best UI for management.
>
> Cheers,
> Sylwek

Thanks for that link, Sylwester. A good resource.

For any Mac users here using or about to use a NAS, I have some advice.
If the NAS offers native Apple Filer Protocol as a connection method,
use that in preference to Windows protocols (ie SMB).  I have found that
the Mac Finder will frequently go into conniptions and freeze up or
otherwise get snarky when sharing files over Windows shares.

I run a FreeBSD server as a NAS and when I added the Netatalk package
and enabled AFP (over TCP), all my random Finder issues disappeared.

-bmw