OT PESO - Casey

David Savage ozsavage at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:23:10 EDT 2009

2009/10/27 John Sessoms <jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com>:
> From: David Savage

>> Not that I disagree, but what is it about the blown highlight that
>> detracts?
>
> The highlights are very specular, and the way digital captures them makes
> them garish. The transition is so abrupt, like falling off a cliff. You lose
> the texture and distort the modeling of the face ... and other areas. Look
> at the right arm near the elbow. It looks like the forearm is just laying
> there detached from the model.
>
> It's not a criticism of the photo. The way digital handles blown highlights
> is just one of the realities of the medium that every photographer is going
> to have to deal with.
>
> This is a well composed, well posed photo. It does more than just present
> the obvious "assets".
>
> I remember earlier in the thread you expressed the wish you'd had a large
> diffuser to soften the light.
>
> And I got the impression these model shoots are organized by a photo club of
> some kind. If you can't afford the diffuser yourself, maybe the club could
> invest in one for group shoots.
>
> But, if this was a workshop you paid to participate in, whoever organized
> the workshop should have had that diffuser available.
>
> Softer light would have helped make the highlights less specular and would
> have pushed the photo over the top.
>
> 10 out of 10 or maybe even "goes to 11".

Good points all.

This was the free form session at the end of the workshop where we
were basically pointed at the models, handed some lights & reflectors
and told "put what you've been shown over the last day and a bit and
see what you can come up with"

I admit I need more practice. Oh well. I'm willing to suffer for this "art".

:-D

DS