NAS

Doug Franklin jehosephat at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 27 21:57:52 EDT 2009

Have any of the PDML faithful tried using Network Attached Storage (NAS)
for their photo archive?  I'm considering putting together a 1TB or so
NAS box or device to live on my at-home 1GBps Ethernet LAN.  Right now,
I'm keeping the archive on a set of external (eSATA and USB) hard
drives.  I'm finding that it'd be convenient to keep a copy online all
of the time.  I've been happy with the 4-drive RAID 10 in my main
machine, but I want to put the online archive on a separate box of some
sort.  Any recommendations on gear to get or to avoid?  I'm thinking I'd
do another 4-drive RAID 10 setup with 500 GB (or maybe 1TB) drives
commodity 7200 RPM SATA-II drives.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)