Side by Side

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Tue Oct 27 04:35:05 EDT 2009

In San Jose, at Bascom and 280, the Burbank theater used to show porn,
until VCRs and porn on the net destroyed the market. I've been meaning
to get some shots of it for ages. Today, after having lunch at the
mini-gourmet across the street, I decided to get some shots.

While I was at it, I grabbed a few with my DA40 on my K100, then put
the lens on my K20 and tried to duplicate some of the shots.

These two were the closest in composition. To my eye, In such
forgiving conditions, I can't see a lot of difference in image quality
between the two:
flickriver, side by side:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622673020436/

1500x2200:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4049551846/sizes/o/in/set-72157622673020436/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4048806055/sizes/o/in/set-72157622673020436/

Of course, it's not for the easy shots that we spend the extra money
on the good bodies. Apart from the size, the ergonomics of the K20 are
a lot better than the K100, and the bigger buffer, faster focusing and
better low light performance often come in handy. Also, the higher
resolution can be helpful when you have sharp glass that's not nearly
as long as you need for a particular shot.

I realize that do really have done it right, I'd need to set up a
tripod, then choose whether to shoot in the "native ISO" 100 v 200 or
at the same ISO 200. Even so, I thought it was fun to do the side by
side.

If you want to know which is which, you can go to the flickr page for
each photo and look on the right:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4049551846/in/set-72157622673020436
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4048806055/in/set-72157622673020436