Heard from Ed about boat photos

Luiz Felipe luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br
Mon Oct 26 15:10:26 EDT 2009

Well, there are some able to earn money in lots of situations. Larry, I
differ from Ed in just one point - I'd do boat photos <too> - so try
those driving photos, some boats, would-be models, dog shows... whatever
you think you can do well, or at least well enough.

On-site printing should get you more opportunities, at the extra
hardware toil. Don't forget theft, in this case of the hardware needed
to print on the site.

Main issue with photography as income, IMHO: you get busy days, idle
days. Too many idle days, too little money from that particular source.
I did some money with photo, mainly in local fashion magazines,
advertising and making books for would-be and established models. At the
time I had a partner with a medium sized model agency... we split the
studio expenses, and that also allowed me to brief the students in photo
lingo, proper model behavior, start them in a studio - and make a small
book for the interested ones. And a proper one, now and then, with a
paid hairdresser and make-up person.

Try the races. AND try the boats, too. Do you have access to boat
races?? Can you get some boat owners to pay your gas and tickets, at
least??? The moment you break even is important: everything extra is
profit. Tourists may buy some photos if they see and like - do you have
any place to show some boats by sunset? Around here there are open
fairs, where tourists buy paintings, regional dresses, hand made leather
bags, sandals, etc. Would you stand by some photos?

Of course, your aim is money. But it hardly will drop in your pocket by
itself, so do try those new ideas. You may succeed.

lf