GESO - Tina

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 19:43:03 EDT 2009

Shots from my very first modeling photoshoot on Saturday.  Great fun for
me, though a *lot* of hard work. Hotshoe flashes are versatile little
buggers, and I was using two of them triggered wirelessly off the popup
flash.  But the lack of a modeling light in the setup so I could get
accurate focus is a serious impediment. I had to keep turning on and off
a small gooseneck halogen lamp, and that really slowed me down.

Shots were lit by one or two AF-540FGZ flashes and shot with a K20D and
DA* 50-135mm lens @ f/8.0, 1/125th.  All manually focussed (too dim for
AF) and the flashes were all on manual too.

As an aside, I now truly grok all the complaints from here about the
Pentax flashes auto wireless behaviour. I don't have too much trouble
with a single flash with some ambient light, but two flashes at once and
near darkness -- total chaos! Luckily, I figured that out while doing
prep work for this shoot, so I started in full manual mode and stayed
there. But that strongly suggests either switching in future to A/C
studio strobes, or just getting some el-cheapo (eg Vivitar) flashes in
future. If I can't make use of the P-TTL logic, why waste the dough?

My model is Tina Hung, an aspiring actor/singer/dancer. Tina is
practicing her "serious look" here. :-)

Makeup & styling: Tina and Louise Peacock
Camera: Pentax K20D, DA* 50-135mm F2.8
Lighting: Pentax AF-540FGZ x 2,
         Westcott 45" shoot-through umbrella,
         home-made snoot,