Heard from Ed about boat photos

Cotty cottycam at mac.com
Sun Oct 25 16:49:53 EDT 2009

On 25/10/09, William Robb, discombobulated, unleashed:

>I noticed at our dawg shos this year that the event photographer had a dye
>sub printer and was cranking prints out on the spot. Apparently you make
>better sales if you catch the people at their moment of glory and can hand
>over a picture right now than if they have to wait for it to be mailed out.
>As Dave has said, and I suspect this is happening with your retired friend,
>any image you put on a website will probably be lifted and the person will
>make do with whatever quality they can get from it.

Quite a few years ago, one of the local pillars of the community was
RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals) inspector
was a chap called Nick Ridley. He loved dogs, and enjoyed photography,
and was soon snapping dogs at weekend country and game shows. He got
very good at it and decided to set up a stall snapping animal portraits.
He would shoot and then print for collection same day. It grew and grew,
and soon his wife was helping out, and it was both days of the weekends,
full-on.

There came a point at which he was making more money than the day job,
so he resigned and went full-time. Now, hundreds of shows and two books
later, he employs people to handle the post production side from a
trailer with computers and printers. All same day - shoot, take the
order, collect before you leave the show. Smart - take the money ASAP
before people think twice!

<http://www.nickridley.com/>

--

Cheers,