PESO Orion, exit stage left

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sun Oct 25 16:17:58 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:59:59AM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com> wrote:
> > Leaving Friday Night Blues last night, I saw some interesting light on
> > a building, with Orion hanging out directly over the Alley:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4039830969/sizes/l/in/set-72157622528845223/
>
> That's a wonderful picture.

Thanks.

> > I tried a wide range of times and ISOs to reduce the noise in the sky,
> > but nothing seemed to work very well. ...
> > Has anyone worked out what gives the best results shooting a night sky
> > with a K20?
>
> Gimme a break, that's better than I'd have thought possible.  Instead
> of asking for advice, want to pass on some tips as to how you got that
> one? -T

You've heard of the shotgun approach? This was more like a chaingun.

I opened the lens all of the way up, and bracketed exposure by 1dB
(1/3stop) from not blowing any highlights on the building to fairly
good exposure on the sky for IIRC, ISO 100 and 400. I may have also
done 200.

After taking a gazillion frames, I then picked the best one.

I was hoping that there was a more direct method without Savaging my
equipment budget.