GESO - Future food, future wine

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Sun Oct 25 03:38:16 EDT 2009

> more than

> >> Leave it to Rob to use a word that is marked "Rare" in the
> >> dictionary..    \smile on/\smile off/
> >>
> >> I had to look it up too.   Good one Rob!
> >>

> > I suspect it's only rare in the USA. It's very common in
> Europe. And
> > especially common in France for some reason. Probably
> something to do
> > with it being their language and their food and wine.
> >
> "Degustation" is  common  terminology in New York rstautants.
> I believe there's even an establishment  that goes by that
> name. I believe it has its roots in Latin.
> Paul

Indeed, although the word itself is French, which we have borrowed. But we
see the same root word in 'disgust', 'gustatory'. We also have the Latin
phrase 'de gustibus non est disputandum', meaning 'there's no accounting for
taste'. There's also 'gusto' from Spanish - 'we ate the spaniel with
gusto!'.

The word apparently has its roots in proto-Indo-European and has come down
the Germanic branches in words like 'choose'.

Bob