PESO Orion, exit stage left

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sat Oct 24 16:00:05 EDT 2009

Leaving Friday Night Blues last night, I saw some interesting light on
a building, with Orion hanging out directly over the Alley:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4039830969/sizes/l/in/set-72157622528845223/

I also tried another composition that puts more emphasis on Orion:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4039834611/sizes/l/in/set-72157622528845223/

Zab, my girlfriend, laughed when she saw it and said that it looked
like the building was saying "Oh no! I've fallen over!".
Maybe I should LOLcat it.

I tried a wide range of times and ISOs to reduce the noise in the sky,
but nothing seemed to work very well.  I suspect that it has to do
with background noise in the sky because the night I shot the
Swanton/Lockheed fire, my shots of the milkyway weren't quite
savage quality, but they didn't suck.

Has anyone worked out what gives the best results shooting a night sky
with a K20? At what point does sensor noise from a long exposure over
take the advantage of using a lower ISO? Or, do you pretty much have
to go to post processing and stack a few exposures to cancel the
noise?

----- Forwarded message from Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com> -----