OT -- Computer Hell.

Rob Studdert distudio.pdml at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:26:19 EDT 2009

On 24/10/2009, Tom Cakalic <cakaltm at gmail.com> wrote:
> My 18-yr old son told me several weeks ago that he was interested in
> vinyl.  When he was much younger I'd bought him a used phonograph and
> we found some cool records.  He's got CD's and iPods...
> He just bought himself a tube fender amp and I have to admit his
> guitars sound much better through it than with the solid state 2004
> amp I'd got him.
> I've found a mint late '70's Technics turntable I'm about ready to
> make a deal on, and then outfit it with a 'state of the art' Ortofon
> cartridge.  He'll get my old early 80's Kenwood integrated amp, tuner,
> and equalizer (still solid state)... but this is going to be fun!

We are just about to pension off the vinyl collection at one of the
radio stations I service, it hasn't been used for years. Most
recordings are in pretty poor condition but I might put my hand up for
the transcription turntable :-)

The transition from vinyl to present day tech in radio basically
followed this path; vinyl, open reel tape, broadcast cart (like a
continuous 8 track cart but only three tracks, L, R & cue), Mini-disc,
CD and now virtually all program but the live voice is delivered via

Solid state guitar amps don't have the right distortion or enough of it!

Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours
Gmail, eBay, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Picasa: distudio