OT new iMac (was PC Surgery)

paul stenquist pnstenquist at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 20:25:48 EDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 12:11 PM, steve harley wrote:

> On 2009-10-22 09:42 , P N Stenquist wrote:
>> My iMac 24 works great with the Epson 2400. The calibrated monitor
>> (Spyder II) is a perfect match. However, I wouldn't dream of trying
>> print from my Macbook. While I've calibrated the monitor and it's
>> color
>> accurate, brightness and contrast are too much dependent on the
>> angle of
>> the screen.
>
> the model line has changed quite a bit in the last year or so; i'm
> not sure about the MacBook, which is a more minor branch in the
> family tree now, but the new MacBook Pros, even the 13" which i
> have, have very good screens -- much more predictable, though not
> quite pro-editing quality; the biggest downside for color work is
> the default glossy finish, but the 15 & 17" versions have matte
> options; you can also plug a second monitor into any new Mac; that's
> what i do to work with photos
>
> the iMac line was refreshed yesterday; there's now an LED-backlit
> IPS display on even the low-end (21") model, which suggests it
> should be excellent for color work
>
> --
I had a look. Very impressive. The top of the line machine now comes
with a 27-inch backlit LED monitor,  a 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
processor, an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor with 512MB of
GDDR3 memory, and 16 megabytes RAM capacity. It sells for $1999 with 4
megabytes of RAM. Perhaps that's not inexpensive in PC terms, but it's
a great deal for a Mac.
Paul