OT - So, has anyone asked

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Thu Oct 22 17:56:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Joseph McAllister <pentaxian at mac.com> wrote:
>  On a bike, depending on
> the timing, you could get killed, either by hitting the door/glass, or if
> avoiding that, by the car about to take the door off and get it out of your
> way!  :-)
>
> I'll stick to automobiles, thank you.

On the other hand, if you're fortunate to live in a dense-enough city,
the benefits to bicycling are pretty damn huge.  To yourself, first;
cycling is outstandingly good for your cardiovascular system which,
practically speaking, means more fatty foods and booze with less
guilt.  Gotta like that.  Also a city in which there are more bikes
and less cars is just a nicer place to live.

I speak as one who was hit by car back in 2000, had a bloody
unpleasant hospital stay and major shoulder surgery.   I have cranked
up my level of riding paranoia since then and have the good fortune to
live in a city with a pretty decent set of bike paths everywhere.

Life is full of cost/benefit trade-offs.  I think letting yourself be
scared away from cycling is a lousy one.  -T