OT PC Surgery

Carlos R carlos_royo at teleline.es
Thu Oct 22 16:00:29 EDT 2009

David J Brooks escribió:
> Well, it looks like its time to do something about my 8 year old MDG
> P4 computer.
>
> Its been acting up again the last few weeks, not booting. It does
> after a number of reboots. I get a boot fail, system halted, or a full
> DOS screen with all my memory numbers and a few other things, and at
> the bottom i get press f12 to boot form network or f1 to enter set up.
> I enter set up, scroll over to exit and it boots.
>
> Its an old machine, slow and USB 1.1 to boot, but its calibrated well
> for my Epson 2400 prints, so i'm leaning on fixing it one more time.
> Going in Saturday for a look see. Hopefully adding a new HD and
> mapping my stuff off the old one will work. The HD was upgraded 3
> years ago and never really worked well after. Many boot problems, but
> it would work, eventually.

The symptoms you describe are compatible with an exhausted battery.
Every motherboard has a small lithium battery to keep the PC clock
running and also the BIOS settings which are kept in a CMOS memory. That
battery (usually a CR2032) has the size and shape of a coin and it is
cheap and easy to change. Around here, they are easily found in hardware
shops or even supermarkets. They last about 8 or 10 years, so it seems
that the one in your PC is already flat. I would buy one of those and
try to revive the ocmputer.

Carlos