OT - So, has anyone asked

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:31:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Ken Waller <kwaller at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> As a mechanical engineer, I've always appreciated the technical aspects of
> motorcycles, but have absolutely no desire to ride one, at least on public
> roads, where a motorcycle, unfortunately, becomes a target for some.

In all my years and miles of motorcycle riding, I've never once seen
anything that indicated another person or driver considered me a
target or intended to do harm to me or any other motorcyclist.

What I have seen is that many many many automobile operators are
simply very poor at seeing and understanding the operating needs of a
motorcycle, most likely because they are completely unfamiliar with
the vehicle dynamics and operating characteristics due to lack of
training and awareness. For that reason, operating a motorcycle safely
in traffic situations takes a good deal more skill and awareness than
the operation of the other vehicles on the road with you: you have to
watch out for not only your own operating needs but doubly for what
other operators do not understand about your needs for space on the
road and time to act.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com