OT PC Surgery

steve harley pdml at paper-ape.com
Thu Oct 22 12:11:06 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-22 09:42 , P N Stenquist wrote:
> My iMac 24 works great with the Epson 2400. The calibrated monitor
> (Spyder II) is a perfect match. However, I wouldn't dream of trying to
> print from my Macbook. While I've calibrated the monitor and it's color
> accurate, brightness and contrast are too much dependent on the angle of
> the screen.

the model line has changed quite a bit in the last year or so; i'm not
sure about the MacBook, which is a more minor branch in the family tree
now, but the new MacBook Pros, even the 13" which i have, have very good
screens -- much more predictable, though not quite pro-editing quality;
the biggest downside for color work is the default glossy finish, but
the 15 & 17" versions have matte options; you can also plug a second
monitor into any new Mac; that's what i do to work with photos

the iMac line was refreshed yesterday; there's now an LED-backlit IPS
display on even the low-end (21") model, which suggests it should be
excellent for color work