Advice

eckinator eckinator at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:11:35 EDT 2009

> - It’s easier to focus on buying that next piece of equipment than it
> is to accept that you should be able to create great work with what
> you’ve got. Buying stuff is a convenient and expensive distraction.
> You need a decent camera, a decent lens, and a light meter. Until you
> can use those tools consistently and masterfully, don’t spend another
> dime. Spend money on equipment ONLY when you’ve outgrown your current
> equipment and you’re being limited by it. There are no magic bullets.

well uhm yes and no - just because i haven't mastered my existing gear
to the point of reproducible perfection doesn't mean it is wrong to
broaden my scope... a 'better spec'ed' piece of gear of a kind I
already have is sure pointless; no lens no matter how good replacing
one of identical focal lenght will ever improve the composition of my
shots let alone my way of seeing things... on the other hand, a piece
of gear that allows me to do something that so far I could only see /
envision but not realize is perfectly justifiable... to quote from my
own list of recent purchases:

- dfa 100 - totally great, lets me take shots no other lens I have allows me
- novoflex quadropod - pointless so far but with enormous potential
seeing the interchangeable short and long legs and suction cups,
window clamps etc.
- novoflex quick release macro rail - absoutely totally utterly
pointless, replaces one w/o qr but it was too cheap to resist and came
in a whole qr set that let me convert my entire kit to qr... this is
exactly the kind of gear purchase the post refers to IMVHO...

so in essence the statement is helpful in that it reminds you to buy
more scope broadening gear and less 'arr arr arr MORE POWER' stuff but
as stated above I find it wrong nonetheless. besides I like to travel
life light so I get rid of whatever I feel I am not using no matter
how cool it may be

cheers
ecke