Warm Weather and Great Tits

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Wed Oct 21 16:42:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 04:18:42PM -0400, paul stenquist wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Bob W wrote:
>
>> I reckon the BBC sub-editor enjoyed writing the headline.
>>
> Yep. And I'm surprised it was published.

So am I.

Not because I suspect the BBC of prurience - by British standards
the word "tit" doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

But by now the name of the game is eyeballs.  Almost all news
outlets with a web presence have a person whose job title is
something like "search engine optimiser".  The goal is to make
sure that when somebody enters a web search, your page shows
up in the list (and shows up as early as possible).

That means you should avoid words in titles and headlines
that may fall foul of any filters.  A list of such words
would most definitely include "tit".

Unfortunately this also means that you should avoid attempts
to be witty, avoid using most nicknames, etc., etc. your
headline should say "Elvis is dead", not "The King has passed".