Landscape Photograph of the Year

Bob W pdml at
Wed Oct 21 16:08:56 EDT 2009

> > My favorite was of Rannoch Moor, the flat light gives it a
> > tapestry/painted feeling to it.  It's the one that makes me look
> > repeatedly.
> My favorite too. It evokes for me Albert Bierstadt's paintings.

All very sublime. I quite like those paintings, but I fear my like may be
dictated by my Pleistocene ancestry rather than my refined artistic

"The idea of a pervasive Pleistocene taste in landscape received support
from an unusual project undertaken by two Russian émigré artists, Vitaly
Komar and Alexander Melamid [...] Respondents expressed a liking for
realistic representative paintings. Preferred elements included water, trees
and other plants, human beings (with a preference for women and children,
and also for historical figures, such as Jomo Kenyatta or Sun Yat-sen), and
animals, especially large mammals, both wild and domestic. [...] Komar and
Melamid then produced a favourite painting for each country. [...] America’s
Most Wanted, as it was titled, presented a Hudson River School scene, with
George Washington standing beside a lake in which a large hippo is
bellowing. "