Pentax K-7 Subjective Report

Tom Cakalic cakaltm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:02:39 EDT 2009

I'm happy to say that after two weeks of having a K-7 I am very
pleased with it. I am overall confident that it will expose the scene
correctly when in matrix-mode metering, except in those very difficult
lighting situations where I expect to dial in adjustment. It also
seems to be somewhat faster at AF.  This is using a Pentax DA 18-250,
Pentax DA 14, Pentax FA 31 LTD, and Pentax FA 100 macro.

Things I particularly like (as opposed to other Pentax DSLR's) after
two weeks and two glasses of wine:

1. Exposure accuracy.
2. 100% viewfinder, wow what a great thing! Doesn't it just make sense
that WYSIWYG? Now things I want in frame are out instead of
vice-versa. :-)
3. Level meter, wow... you all know I'm a bubble off-center.
4. Dedicated ISO button.
5. Overall throughput when rapid firing which I do little of... but sometimes.
6. I personally like the status display on the rear LCD.  It sort of
subliminally communicates with me.
7. The grip and ability to use AA's if needed.

Things I don't like:

1. I find the EV adjustment button and the dial to adjust to be a
little too close together.  I'm getting used to it, but it's slightly
awkward.
2. I'd prefer not to have to push a button in order to rotate the mode
dial (Hyper to other shooting modes).

Both the negs are minor things I'll grow accustomed.

Overall, "Well done Pentax".

Tom