PESO - ...With Two Cats in the Yard?

steve harley pdml at paper-ape.com
Tue Oct 20 11:55:51 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-20 09:34 , ann sanfedele wrote:
> So I searched for some reference to tagging here and on Frank's blog...
> cant find it. Scratching head...
>
> Explain please... the only thing I could think of is people are now
> calling graffiti "tags"

i live in Denver in a neighborhood rife with tagging; when Frank wrote
graffiti "artists", i think he was speaking too loosely; tagging is
simply leaving a mark, like a tomcat leaving its scent; sometimes it is
to mark territory for gangs, often it is kids seeking status with their
peers; tagging can sometimes reach the level of art, but it clearly
hasn't in the case of Frank's photo

here in Denver, we aim to wash it off or paint it over as soon as
possible (the city will do it for free), since only by having tags seen
does the tagger gain status and encouragement to do more