Landscape Photograph of the Year

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Mon Oct 19 12:47:45 EDT 2009

> > Specifically British landscapes:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
> >

> What does it say about me that I disliked most (but not all)
> of those images?
>
> Especially the first one!
>
> I did like the image with the runners... and the snowy valley in W.
> Yorkshire, though.

They do mostly conform to a rather ordinary and unimaginative type of
British landscape photo.

A very interesting and well-thought-of British landscape photographer that I
like is Jem Southam. Some people find his work a bit difficult.
<http://www.seesawmagazine.com/southam_pages/southam_interview.html>

The snowy valley is Hebden Bridge, a town I know quite well. One of my best
friends lives there, and it is where the Magnum photographer Martin Parr
first made a name for himself. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath also lived
thereabouts.

<http://tinyurl.com/yku6ce5>

<http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_VPage&VBID=2K1HZOMXO
BMHU&CT=Search&DT=image&RW=1007&RH=483>