Good enough

Igor Roshchin str at komkon.org
Mon Oct 19 12:10:42 EDT 2009

You are correct that very often the "good-enough" technology relies
(and this dependence can be based on the historical development, -
it is not alway the everyday dependence) on the achievements
of the high-end technology.
(To add to your list: quite a few consumer devices are based on the
device principles originally developed for military needs.)

Let me disagree with a few of your examples.
As far as I know, in many countries in Europe, what is known as
"pay as you go" is the prevailing model of cell-phone usage.
So, they don't need to piggy-back on
the month-to-month paid plans (which was the original setting
in the US).

In my opinion, MP3 would not be a valid comparison to AM radio,
but it so loose anyway that there is no need to argue about it.

Igor

Mon Oct 19 09:38:47 CDT 2009