Detroit PDML Does Avedon

P N Stenquist pnstenquist at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 12:06:01 EDT 2009

Bill Sawyer, Mark Cassino and I spent a few hours viewing the Avedon
show at the Detroit Institute of the Arts. We also reviewed the
museum's excellent photography collection, a retrospective that spans
100 years and includes a number of iconic images. The Avedon work
invites scrutiny, in that the lighting is sometimes very complex and
the degree of contrast varies greatly. A very interesting and
informative show.

After touring the two exhibits, we dropped in at a nearby brewpub,
"Traffic Jam and Snug," for a bite. I shot bill and Mark at the table
with the K7 and DA* 16-50. Bill is f 3.5, 1/13th, Mark is f2.8,
1/13th. Both at ISO 3200:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9927160&size=lg
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9927163&size=lg

I drove Woodward up through the city on the way home. While a couple
of blocks surrounding the museum are nice, most of the way the
neighborhoods to either side of Woodward are battle scarred,
dangerous  and decrepit. However, about a  mile north of the museum,
the New Center neighborhood (which was new many, many years ago)
boasts a few very nice streets and some lovely homes. Some of the
houses are in disrepair and a few are boarded up, but compared to the
rest of the area, it's an oasis. I snapped a couple of pics:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9927165&size=lg
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9927166&size=lg

But Detroit is a study in contrast. Just across Woodward I saw this:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9927170&size=lg

Detroit was on the verge of making a comeback ten years ago or so. The
current downturn isn't helping. I expect it will come roaring back
some day, but it will probably be long after I'm gone from both this
area and this life.

Paul