Bargain Bin Score

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Sat Oct 17 18:54:32 EDT 2009

What was the question?  Should it work?

I used to use an Adaptall-2 300/2.8 on my PZ-1p and MZ-S with the
Pentax-KA adapter.  It worked just fine most of the time. But every
now and then the aperture display in the body would switch to "--".

I eventually tracked this down to an intermittent contact on the "A"
pin in the lens mount; hold the camera and lens in just the wrong way
(such as flexing the lens upwards with respect to the body) and the
contact would fail.

I never worked out how to fix it, because the problem went away when
I got a good deal on an A* 300 and sold the Tamron to a Nikon shooter.