Little piece on lenses

Miserere miserere at
Sat Oct 17 17:31:38 EDT 2009

2009/10/17 Tim Bray <tbray at>:
> Most readers of my blog aren't photogs.  When I meet them at
> conferences & so on they look at me swapping primes and ask "what is
> it with that?"  So I wrote a little piece to try to introduce this
> whole multi-lens thang, and why civilians might want to step on to the
> slippery slope.  It won't educate anyone reading PDML but might
> entertain.

I had to smile when you said the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is "a great big
huge honking lens". I guess we've been spoiled by Pentax and its tiny
lenses. If we compare FoV, put the DA* 50-135 next to a Canon or Nikon
70-200mm f/2.8, then tell me which one is truly honking  :-)

I had a chance to play with Mark's 21 Ltd last week, and now I find
myself checking eBay in case there's a good deal out there... Out of
sight, out of mind is soooo true--I'd had ZERO interest in the 21 Ltd
until held it in my grubby paws.

I enjoyed the write up, Tim.