Little piece on lenses

Larry Colen lrc at
Sat Oct 17 16:58:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:22:08PM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> Most readers of my blog aren't photogs.  When I meet them at
> conferences & so on they look at me swapping primes and ask "what is
> it with that?"  So I wrote a little piece to try to introduce this
> whole multi-lens thang, and why civilians might want to step on to the
> slippery slope.  It won't educate anyone reading PDML but might
> entertain.
> Quote: "I?m happiest when I?m out with just the 21mm and 40mm, because
> the whole combo is ridiculously light and there?s still room in the
> bag for a sandwich and hip-flask."  -Tim

A couple of nights ago I came very close to posting a silly little
email about how much I love my DA40. I had played around in my yard a
bit, and when I was processing shots with the DA40 and K20 I was blown
away at how sharp, detailed and wonderful they are.

I want a 21. I got to play a bit with Pat's and really like it. I also
need something wider than my 31 and sharper/faster than my 18-250. As
much of a prime fetshist I am, I probably ought to get the 16-50
first, cover the whole range, and if I need anything faster/smaller in
a particular length, get it when I have the money.

I followed your link to and was amused by:
< >

I think that I'm about 10% Purist, 70% Prime Fetishist and 20%
Lugger. Though I am willing to concede that there are some zooms as
sharp and fast as the primes available in the lengths that they
cover, such as the 16-50.