Re: °SOUTH: WAR / 2009 Nikon-Walkley Press Photo

Christine Aguila caguila at
Sat Oct 17 10:52:10 EDT 2009

Hi Derby:  A lovely written account of the event and some great pics of
these famous Australian Photogs.  I'd make some nice prints of the lot.  The
group shot was especially nice, and I have to say, Tim Page is quite dishy
:-).  Thanks for posting.  Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derby Chang" <derbyc at>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml at>
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: °SOUTH: WAR / 2009 Nikon-Walkley Press Photo

Just got back from a superb event. Five photographers from °SOUTH gave a
floor talk on their show, WAR.

Ben Bohane pointed out the shame Australians should feel about the
secret war and blockade waged in Bougainville in the 90s, a direct
contravention of the UN arms embargo.

Derby Chang wrote:
> Popped into the opening of a pretty compelling double exhibition tonight
> at the Australian Centre for Photography
> The Nikon Walkley awards are an annual press award, and the photo section
> is always seriously good viewing. I distinctly remember the series of
> photos from the Lin family funeral. They were a family murdered here in my
> suburb, in fact I used to buy a lot of my photography magazines from their
> newsagency. The photographer was working for the local newspaper. Normally
> I never open the paper, but the shots so moving, I had to go through the
> whole article. The case remains unsolved.
> °SOUTH are a pretty legendary bunch of characters, including Tim Page,
> David Dare Parker, and the amazing Sean Flynn. The show is hard going, but
> very much worth the effort
> Highly recommended.

derbyc at

PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List