Photos from my second professional gig

Tim Bray tbray at
Sat Oct 17 01:32:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Larry Colen <lrc at> wrote:

> The company a friend works for put on a charity poker tournament (the
> winners got to donate to their favorite charity) as basically a
> shmoozefest for oracleworld.

Oracle Open World, to be precise, 35,000+ users of "Enterprise" (i.e.
expensive) server software.  I was there too, speaking and blogging.

Some shots:

One of the plenaries:

The inside of an IBM mainframe:

Spooky part of the trade-show floor:

Write-up, probably only of interest to people who know what Oracle is:

Those shots are all with the Sigma 30mm f1.4, which I've had real
trouble getting comfy with.  So I left it screwed onto the camera for
3 days in a row to force myself to practice and practice.  I'm still
having trouble.