OT: Erasing an MS DOS FAT volume on a mac?

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 17:02:33 EDT 2009

P N Stenquist wrote:

> I picked up a 500 gig Maxtor drive for next to nothing. I hooked it up
> to my IMac 24, and system 10.5 recognizes it, and I can access the files
> that are on it. But I want to erase it. It's formated with MSDOS FAT,
> and the Mac disk utility won't erase it. What do I need to reformat it
> to Mac Extended?
> Paul

Won't erase it? That's odd. Unless the drive is somehow write-protected
the Disk Utility will happily reformat *any* mountable volume you
present it with.  Make sure you select the drive itself and not one of
its existing volumes when you try to select Erase.  Select Mac OS
Extended (Journaled) as the type, and don't bother with Erase Free Space
or the security options.

-bmw