GESO: Hurunui Dambusters Protest

David Mann dmann at bluemoon.net.nz
Fri Oct 16 02:17:41 EDT 2009

A protest was held here today to oppose an irrigation scheme that's
being put in on the Hurunui River in North Canterbury.  Dairy farming
is making massive amounts of foreign exchange for our country but
there's a bit of resentment about its environmental impact, so damming
up a river for an irrigation project isn't the most popular of ideas.

The protesters were mostly made up of kayakers, fishermen and
environmental advocates.  The march ran along the Avon River from the
Bridge of Remembrance to Victoria Square in Christchurch City.

<http://www.multisport.net.nz/photos/459-2009-10-16-dambusters-hurunui-protest.html

I don't consider this to be my best work but I did what I could given
the conditions.  Sorry about the small size of the pics, I'm limited
to a certain width & height and most of the photos were portrait
orientation.

The K10D showed itself once again to be a robust camera.  It wasn't
fazed by the rain, and it came out muddy but undamaged when I slipped
on the riverbank and landed sideways.  The hood broke off my lens (FA
24mm) and separated into two pieces.  Not the first time I've done
that so I'll just glue it back together again.  My right arm still
feels a bit strange and I'm expecting it to bruise tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dave