The collection went away

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 18:08:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM, William Robb <warobb at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that if you move stuff around outside of Lightroom then
> you are stuck with importing it twice since you then need to import it into
> Lightroom.

Lightroom has several tools for reconciling external file system
alterations. Of course, if you toss thousands of files around in
random ways, it's going to take a lot of time to reconcile all those
changes.

I did a job for a client who'd made a serious mess of his 40,000
files, with multiple files, multiple catalogs, multiple and
inconsistent imports and alternative edits in a dozen places. It took
a while and some serious thinking to come up with a 'best fit'
strategy to reorganize everything, eliminate duplication, save *all*
the edits, and rationalize the setup, but it was certainly possible
... just a little tedious. Neither edits nor files were lost, and in
the end he has a well-structured and easy to back-up image file
repository, a master catalog of everything, and subsidiary catalogs
for his projects-in-progress.

If you think things out carefully up front, you can save my consulting
fee to achieve that ... ];-)
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com