Photos from my second professional gig

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Thu Oct 15 15:36:51 EDT 2009

The company a friend works for put on a charity poker tournament (the
winners got to donate to their favorite charity) as basically a
shmoozefest for oracleworld.

This was a very different style of photography than I've done. As long
as it was "good enough" content and expediency were far more important
than technical, or even artistic, perfection.

I was hired nominally to get shots of the guests in front of the
backdrop. They didn't do a great job of herding the guests to me as
they came in and there was a hard time limit of when the instruction
of how to play, and then the actual tournament would start.

The plan was that I'd take the shots from 6:00 to 6:30, process them,
and someone would run the files down to Walgreen's for 5x7 prints. I
was then encouraged to take photos during the tournament. I took care
to ask who were the people I should get the photos of (important
customers etc.)

One of the customers missed out on the first round of "prom photos",
and asked if he could get a shot later. Rather than shooting with
Anita Cocktail (the drag queen impersonator in several of the shots)
we got a shot of him with Amy (the friend who organized the event). He
was hamming it up a bit for the camera putting his head on her
shoulder, so I told her to kiss him on the cheek. It turns out that
their company may get a contract from his, so that may have worked out
quite well.

If your curious, the pictures are up. They aren't destined for any
galleries, but the customer was happy, and the check cashed.

Twenty three shots in the set:
There are two ways of viewing them, the flickriver site shows them in
600x800, but is a little slower to load:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622589959338/

The flickr site shows them as 100x100 crops
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622589959338/