The collection went away

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Thu Oct 15 04:09:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:43:10AM +0100, Bob W wrote:
> Larry,

  --snip--

> As far as merging catalogues goes, and not wanting to change your existing
> organisation on the disk/s, I would recommend the following:

I actually would like to fine tune my existing organization. But it
seems that that may be best done in lightroom, rather than with simple
commands like

mkdir _0905
mv 0905* _0905
mv _0905 0905

> 1. create a new catalogue

Easily done.

> 2. using the new catalogue, import your photos from each of the old
> catalogues in turn (in the Library Module, on the File menu, choose Import
> >From Catalog). This is similar to Concept Three on p.310 of the Resnick &
> Spritzer book, which I believe you have.

Yes I do have it. Started reading it, then life caught up with me.

> 3. When that's done, delete all of the old catalogues. This does not delete
> your photos.

If I don't delete the old catalogs, I expect that if I open a picture
using them, I just lose any changes made in the new catalog.

> For the future,
>
> 1. RTFM
> 1b. Read the Resnick & Spritzer book from end to end, thinking all the time
> about how you can apply their workflow in your situation

As I said, I started to, shortly after buying the book.

> 2. understand the options on the Import dialog - this will go a long way to
> giving you a structure you understand

OK, I'll take a look at that.

> 3. learn about keywords and how useful they can be for fast search and
> retrieval

I've been using them.

> 4. understand what Collections are

They seem to be just a set of pointers to files in multiple
directories.

> 5. Learn about Smart Collections

Will do. I have an innate distrust of anything labeled "Smart" as part
of a computer system.

> 6. create a new folder and always import straight into that, using LR to
> manage the organisation. Don't move any files around unless you use LR to do
> the moving.

Do you mean just have one directory for importing into?

My normal workflow is to copy, or move, the files from my SD card onto
a named file on my linux desktop. For example 091015_foo_bar, then to
scp that directory over to my Mac:
scp -pr 091015_foo_bar lrc at 10.0.1.249:pictures_2009

This way by typing in a command, I offload the files, and instantly
make a backup on a separate machine. Since, by convention, I name all
the directories by date, it makes it easy to find the originals in
case anything goes worng.

Even simpler, I have a couple of scripts to do it.  So if I want to
copy the files off the card (snarf them) then send them over the the
iMac, I just type

snarf_n_send 091015_foo_bar

the script looks like:
cat bin/snarf_n_send

#!/bin/bash

mkdir $1
date
ls /media/disk/dcim/*/* |wc
mv /media/disk/dcim/*/* $1
date
scp -pr $1 10.0.1.249:pictures_2009

I suppose, if you think I should just copy them all into the same
directory every time, I could change the last line to:

scp -pr $1/* 10.0.1.249:lr_import