The collection went away

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Thu Oct 15 03:43:10 EDT 2009

Larry,

The first thing when learning any new subject and wanting to discuss it with
other people, is to learn the terms and concepts and use them consistently
with the subject matter. If you make stuff up, like "I frob the item in the
library menu to include subdirectories, go to raw_photos and" you're just
making it difficult for other people to help you. I'm not going to try and
guess what 'frob' means to you.

As far as merging catalogues goes, and not wanting to change your existing
organisation on the disk/s, I would recommend the following:

1. create a new catalogue

2. using the new catalogue, import your photos from each of the old
catalogues in turn (in the Library Module, on the File menu, choose Import
>From Catalog). This is similar to Concept Three on p.310 of the Resnick &
Spritzer book, which I believe you have.

3. When that's done, delete all of the old catalogues. This does not delete
your photos.

For the future,

1. RTFM
1b. Read the Resnick & Spritzer book from end to end, thinking all the time
about how you can apply their workflow in your situation
2. understand the options on the Import dialog - this will go a long way to
giving you a structure you understand
3. learn about keywords and how useful they can be for fast search and
retrieval
4. understand what Collections are
5. Learn about Smart Collections
6. create a new folder and always import straight into that, using LR to
manage the organisation. Don't move any files around unless you use LR to do
the moving.