The collection went away

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Thu Oct 15 00:42:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 06:01:43PM -0500, Stan Halpin wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2009, at 4:24 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>
> > However their methodology of file handling seems a bit
> >weird at times.
> >
> Lightroom is built around SQL. Like any database program, the
> organizational structure is designed to facilitate storage and
> retrieval, not necessarily user comprehension. Good news about this
> approach is that it allows very fast processing of search/sort/
> retrieval requests from among tens of thousands records (images). As

OK, this sounds promising.

> others havwe suggested, file it and forget it. Lightroom can find it,
> you don't need to fret about an organizational structure that you can
> make sense of. If you have problems with Lightroom, you can try to
> "learn Lightroom" or you can find  a general simple discussion of
> database systems and work from there.
>
> Another good thing about Lightroom is that they have nicely layered
> the image processing functions onto the database functions without
> compromising either too badly.

Let's say that I want to create an ubercatalog, as suggested.
And lets assume that I don't want to lose the work that I've already
done on my 20 or so catalogs of about 570 directories with about
62,000 photos.

Godfrey said that I should merge catalogs. But, when I look in the
indexes of my lightroom books, neither said anything about merging
catalogs.
When I look at the menu there is
new catalog
open catalog
and open recent (which seems to be recent catalog)

There are also a bunch of library functions, which seem to operate on
the catalog, but they may only look at a particular directory tree at
a time.

The list of directories over on the left very quickly gets
unweildy. However, since I name all of my download directories with
yymmdd_subject  i.e. 091014_cormorants_1

It'll be very easy for me to set up a structure

raw_photos
  2007
  2008
  2009
    0901
    0902
    0903
    0904
    0910
      091001_ebay_makeup
      091001_product_sample
      091001_product_shoot
      091002_dangoughs
      091003_pdml
      091003_pdml_dinner
      091003_rentparty
      091005_aikido_test
      091007_floor
      091007_probuild
      091009_fnb_gwebster
      091009_gwenplay
      091010_headon
      091010_rentparty
      091013_metaformers

and if I want all of my best shots, I frob the item in the library
menu to include subdirectories, go to raw_photos and have it only show
the ones rated five stars.

If I'm willing to set aside all of my work, I could move everything
into the directory tree that I want, open a new catalog, and tell
lightroom to import all 61824 files.
Can I then just "import from catalog" to recover all the work I've
done on those files without duplicating them?

What if I've moved them from where they were when I made that catalog?
I've seen lightroom recover from files being moved, I've also seen it
get terribly confused.