OT - "scientists amazed" by the obvious yet again

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Wed Oct 14 17:41:18 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:57:45AM -0400, Bruce Walker wrote:
> [Quoted exactly as I found it ...]
>
> Driving fast cars boosts testosterone
>
> 680News staff | Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 8:36 am
  ---snip---

> Scientists think this could explain why some men buy a sports car to
> help them through their mid-life crisis.

I suspect that it's more likely a combination of a two factors:

It's generally not until mid-life that guys can actually afford the
car that they always wanted. They (we) also start to become painfully
aware that they aren't going to be able to fully enjoy such things
forever, so we want to play while we can.

A while back I had a '71 240Z (fairlady). There's a local road,
Skyline, which is moderately twisty, and a common place to head with
motorcycles or sports cars on sunny weekends. With the Z, in order to
push the car hard enough to even start having fun, I was hitting
triple digits on the straights. I realized that for driving on the
street it's much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car
slow.

Mind you, I'd rather have a well mannered slow car like a Sprite, than
something like a Camry, Corolla or a Saturn.

On the track, I just want something competitive in it's
class. Although, I've had a of fun passing Porsches in my Civic
Wagon when I was teaching. There's a lot more glory in blowing someone
away in a "lesser car". It strips them of any excuses.

If they did the test properly they'd take a group of drivers, several
cars and compare testosterone levels after driving in city traffic, on
mountain roads, freeways, autocross (gymkhana), and at an open track
day.

I'm willing to bet that the driving conditions make more difference
than what car they're driving.