Question re GPS and geotagging

AlunFoto alunfoto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 05:40:04 EDT 2009

2009/10/13 Bob W <pdml at web-options.com>:

> You could always do it the old-fashioned way and write it down in a
> notebook.

"Excuse me sir, D'you know the name of this place, and that mountain
over there?"

Works well most of the time, I agree. My case for buying a GPS logger
(it's in the mail as I write, been back-ordered since about the time
this thread started) is the trip to Antarctica. There are
comparatively few official names on geographical features on that
continent.

The UK Antarctic Survey has a comprehensive list of suggested names
online, however biased towards English speaking explorers' naming.
It's a decent service anyway, though, as it usually lists any known
naming controversies. So, if one has a GPS location, one can look up
the point in the UK service database when back home, and get a more
decent set of references than any available on one particular map. For
this case a GPS beats a pen and notebook, gloved hands down. :-)

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com