OT: Question re GPS and geotagging

Doug Franklin jehosephat at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 12 23:59:23 EDT 2009

Peter Loveday wrote:
>> My current GPS is a Garmin Etrex Vista.
>
> Is that the original Vista or the HCx version - which is supposedly much
> better sensitivity?

I've got an eTrex Vista HCx and I've been very happy with it.  However,
I haven't pushed it all that hard.  I was lucky enough to find some
excellent free maps for Bulgaria before I went there, and I've added the
North American maps since.  I didn't have any trouble doing geotagging
with the K10D, HCx, and one of the free tagging programs.  I also
haven't had any trouble pulling tracks from the device or downloading
maps to it via the software Garmin provides, except that I've had some
issues with getting maps activated, not altogether resolved.  I've even
stuck it in the pocket of my driving suit on the track before.  I was
driving an old 1st gen RX-7, and it had trouble seeing enough satellites
to keep the accuracy tight, but still did surprisingly well.  I figure
it would have done much better mounted under the windshield instead of
in my "pants pocket" under the metal roof of the car.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)