OT: Question re GPS and geotagging

Alastair Robertson kiwibiologist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:23:28 EDT 2009

I like my Garmin handheld - there's a variety of models - I would get
one of the mapping units https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145.
The GPSMap 60 claims 28 hours of battery life

the units do come with a simple basemap and getting detailed maps for
some regions of the world is tricky - though you can sometimes get
free maps from here - http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/ though not it
seems for Costa Rica

Even if you have nothing other than the basemap you will still be able
to log your tracks for later geoencoding

export log files should be easy with the mac version software
http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/ - RoadTrip seems to be the utility for
this

Once you have the log on your computer you can geoencode with
lightroom using Jeffrey Friedl's plugin -
http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps

The only trick is to make sure the clocks are in sync

Alastair