GPS with your K7 [Scanned]

Doug Franklin jehosephat at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 12 17:27:11 EDT 2009

AlunFoto wrote:

> Absolutely. That's one accessory I envy the Nikonians, a GPS unit that
> writes directly to the recorded files.
> Some GPS synching software will write out XMP sidecar files to go with
> PEF, or write directly into the DNGs. That's not too bad either. :-)

Actually, I would generally prefer to have my separate "hiker's" GPS
unit, unless all that same functionality was accessible through the
camera's interface.  /Actually/, even if the functionality was there.

While a camera-specific GPS that writes to the EXIF data would be nice
in some ways, I think I'd rather have some sort of "generic" data
interface on each that allowed a normal GPS to provide the camera with
the positional data.  The odds are, it'd end up as some sort of "neither
fish nor fowl" device, with an abysmal operator interface.

So many of these things get to be like clocks ... every blasted device I
have wastes time and processor power and battery life by, well, keeping
time.  I don't need a clock on every freakin' device I own.  Especially
since the airwaves are filled with time references.  If you've been
messing about with personal computers long enough, you'll remember the
early days of Windows when darned near every program showed a freakin'
clock on the screen, wasting space, memory, compute, and power.

Drove me even battier than I started out then, and continues unabated.
Creeping Featuritis.  Blech.

<aside>
I've recently decided that I prefer the term "operator interface" to
"user interface", in no small part because it reflects the sounds I so
often make when presented with the abominations that pass for
interfaces. :-)
</aside>

--
Thanks,