Dangerous thoughts about glass, and a couple of questions

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sun Oct 11 12:53:27 EDT 2009

Earlier tonight (actually last night, but I haven't been to bed yet) I
was photographing a band at a dance, in challenging light conditions.
I was alternating between my FA77/1.8 and my injured pfa50/1.4.

I absolutely love my 77. While my 31 is more generally usefull, there
is some quality about the pictures I get from the 77 (especially
portraitish) that I like so much more than even the ones I get from
the 31.

I don't know what this quality is, and it could just be a factor of
depth of field, but I don't think so.

My PFA 50 is a perfectly competent lens, and amazing for the
price. It's also often the length I need, and even more often a
critical 2/3 stop faster than the other two. But, for some reason, it
seems a lot harder to get pictures that I really love out of.

Question 1: What is it that is different about the 77 that makes it
such an amazing lens for shooting portraits? Particulary, what quality
is different between it and the 31? Is it just a factor of the length?

Question 2: What is the 55/1.4 like in comparison to these other
lenses? My impression from what I've read is that in general terms
such as sharpness, it is in the same league as the 31 and the 77, but
what is its personality like compared to these other three lenses?