OT: Obama just won Nobel Peace Prize.

Adam Maas adam at mawz.ca
Sun Oct 11 10:57:53 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM, William Robb <warobb at gmail.com> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "frank theriault"
> Subject: Re: OT: Obama just won Nobel Peace Prize.
>

>> Of course, since Japan didn't surrender immediately after Hiroshima,
>> waiting instead until the second bomb flattened Nagasaki, it's
>> doubtful that a demonstration of the bomb's capabilities at a desert
>> test-site would have persuaded Japan to surrender.
>
> I recall reading somewhere some time prior to the internet that the Nagasaki
> bomb was probably not needed to end the war, but as it was a different
> design from the Hiroshima bomb, the military wanted to "test" it to see
> which design had the better destructive power, and Nagasaki happened to be
> there.
> I don't know if there is much, if any truth to this, I don't recall what the
> political leaning of the author was.
>
> William Robb

The author was a crank, the Hiroshima bomb was the untested gun-type
bomb (which is much simpler, so they figured it likely wouldn't need
testing), Nagasaki used an implosion-type bomb of the same basic type
as the Trinity test and was thus an already proven design at that
point.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas