OT: Obama just won Nobel Peace Prize.

William Robb warobb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 23:46:27 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "frank theriault"
Subject: Re: OT: Obama just won Nobel Peace Prize.

> Of course, since Japan didn't surrender immediately after Hiroshima,
> waiting instead until the second bomb flattened Nagasaki, it's
> doubtful that a demonstration of the bomb's capabilities at a desert
> test-site would have persuaded Japan to surrender.

I recall reading somewhere some time prior to the internet that the Nagasaki
bomb was probably not needed to end the war, but as it was a different
design from the Hiroshima bomb, the military wanted to "test" it to see
which design had the better destructive power, and Nagasaki happened to be
there.
I don't know if there is much, if any truth to this, I don't recall what the
political leaning of the author was.

William Robb