PESO - Pinnacles Pano

Brian Walters supera1000 at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 10 18:37:04 EDT 2009

G'day all

Thanks for the comments on this - some responses below:

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 07:52 -0500, "Bob Sullivan" <rf.sullivan at gmail.com>
wrote:
> It needs to be bigger.  I want to see if those are cars on the road
> below.  It would help give me a sense of scale.
> The tree in the foreground is confusing my scale.  Beautiful landscape
> and facinating...

Yes agreed.  It needs a better focal point too. Looking at it again,
there's nothing to grab attention apart from that bloody blob of
foliage.

The objects near the road are rocks which define the borders of the
track so that vehicles are confined to specific areas.  The only cars in
the photo are in the very top left hand corner.  There are a couple of
people walking around up there as well.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:25 -0400, "Ken Waller" <kwaller at peoplepc.com>
wrote:
> Nicely done but with the Pinnacles being the point of interest, the
> foreground brush is distracting.

I agree - I have a few non-pano images taken closer to the actual rock
formations.  I think they give a better indication of scale so I'll PESO
one shortly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 12:33 -0500, "Tom C" <cakaltm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was going to say it looks like the view is from up above.  It looks
> like a fascinating area and I immediately thought I'd take a shot with
> either a wide angle up close to several pinnacles showing multiple
> others receding into the distance, or use a telephoto the same way,
> 'stacking' a foreground formation and bringing a number of distant
> pinnacles closer in. Or maybe even just a shot at ground level, with a
> Stonehenge like effect.
>
> Brian, can you go back and do that for us?  You're a lot closer. :-)

Sure!  I'll just jump in the car now and nip on back.  It should only
take - let me think - oh, about 7 weeks....

Thanks for the comment - if only I'd thought of doing that when I was
there!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:45 -0700, "Jack Davis" <jdavisf8 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Interesting, photogenic terrain, Brian. Well composed.

Thanks, Jack.  But the more I look at it, the less interesting it
becomes.  I think I was seduced by the beautiful light and didn't take
enough interest in picking a better location.

Live and learn....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:24 -0400, "John Sessoms" <jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I don't think the foreground foliage harms the image, and I don't see
> how you could get rid of it without losing the elements on the right,
> which I think are important to the image.

Yes.  I couldn't do much better from where I was shooting but if I'd had
more time. I could have chosen a  better location.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:26 -0400, Eactivist at aol.com wrote:

> Yeah, there  might have been a better vantage point, but it looks pretty
> darn  good.

Thanks, Marnie.  The light was wonderful, although there was a lot of
cloud moving around so it was quite variable.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:51 -0400, "frank theriault"
<knarftheriault at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like.

So do I but, as I said above, not as much as before

:-(>

Thanks for looking, Frank.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:19 -0500, "Christine  Aguila"
<caguila at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Wow!  that's some view.  I'd like it better without the foliage, but
> still--what view.  Congrats on what seems to have been a great trip,

It's a pretty special place.  I'd love to go back one day.

> Thanks for sharing your experiences via your blog.  What a treat that
> was.

Writing the blog was a lot of fun and a good record for later when
memory fades.  I'd recommend it to anyone going on a longish trip.

Cheers

Brian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Brian Walters <supera1000 at fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
> > G'day all
> >
> > I still have a lot to learn about doing successful panoramas but here's
> > one I took on my recent trip in Western Australia.  Not sure the
> > foreground foliage helps.
> >
> > http://www.blognow.com.au/PESO/171144/The_Pinnacles.html
> >
> > This is a pretty small version.  A larger one (500k) is here:
> >
> > http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1370864/__IGP3073-3075pano.jpg
> >

> > Comments, criticisms gratefully received...
> >

> > Cheers
> >
> > Brian

> > Brian Walters
> > Western Sydney Australia